Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: May 10 Raid  (Read 5892 times)
OnceBitten
Editors

Seize the moment

« on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »

Hi Chch Anons

I propose that we have a slightly different approach to the raid on May 10.  Because we can't protest in front of a church building as it is a private home, I propose that we just stay in the square, and not do a march.  I also think that it would be good if we had a really big banner with some catchy phrase spelling out that we are opposed to the CofS, as I noticed that some public thought we were for it initially.  I also think that because the CofS isn't really known about here in Chch, we need to really direct the info in our fliers to our chch public, and let them know what it is that we are objecting to.

I think we need to keep it simple and direct with an obvious focus.  We certainly are at a disadvantage in Chch because of there being a very very small scifag presence, and not many people knowing about it.  There are only two ex-scis on the forum from chch so what does that say?  Either chch ex-scis couldn't care less; don't want to relive their horrors; are scared of the consequences of getting rowdy; or the fact that there just aren't many in chch.  What ever the reason, it's  hard to get the message across to people who just don't really know what's going on.  and I think we need to include some info in our fliers and banner about what IS going on.

What do other Chch anons think?

Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »

Hmm, what would go on that sort of banner? It could be painted on an old sheet or something, easy to stash when leaving, and big.
Face
Regulars

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »

Heh, I know it's not very quality work on my part, and I apologise for this.
This is an edit of a poster made for the upcoming protest in DC.

OnceBitten
Editors

Seize the moment

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

Hi Face!  Good to have you aboard!

I think that's a good idea for a banner in theory, yes, but I also think that it needs to be concise.  Here in Chch we don't have the agro from scifags that they have in other centres.  We don't have the sci presence (a good thing) and people just don't really know about it.  I think it needs to be a short sharp message to the point and catchy.

SCIENTOLOGY ATTACKS THOSE WHO OPPOSE

A sheet or piece of vinyl or something like that.  I'll make it!

I also noticed that when people approached us they first of all thought that we were scientologists!  They saw the big print of the word scientology on some of the fliers and backed right off.  When we said we were against it they then came forward to get a flier.  I think we need to be careful of that.

I also think the fliers are better if they don't have too much written on them, and are A5 not A4.  People don't read something that is filled with words.  Website addresses, short catchy phrases are best.  People here don't really know about Xenu or aliens and Christchurch people are really conservative.  They would find it hard to believe that scis really believe all that crap and might then think anons were the weird ones.

I also read something on this site:  http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/  It says that the world is laughing at scientology atm, but really it isn't that funny.  People are dying, going crazy and losing all their money, and that's not funny.

It would also be good to get an idea of who's going to the May 10 raid in Christchurch.....

Sweet

Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:31:40 PM »

Well, I'll be going and I'm probably bringing Silver Masked Friend again.

And it'd be great if you'd make that, Once. ^_^
travolta

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »

I also read something on this site:  http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/  It says that the world is laughing at scientology atm, but really it isn't that funny.  People are dying, going crazy and losing all their money, and that's not funny.

That's what Tory Christman has said about Scientology as well. It's all very well picking on them and laughing at them for their crazy Xenu story. However, the fact of the matter is that people are being sucked into the cult and being emotionally and psychologically destroyed by it, meanwhile their bank accounts are being drained as it happens, and that's no joke.
An0n1nNZ

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »

I think that OnceBitten has absolutely the right ideas. (That said, I don't know that I will be able to make the demonstration myself to support that...will see what I can arrange...)

How about a simple message on a banner -- like "What is Fair Game?" -- that will get people curious and interested and does not directly refer to Scientology so there isn't *that* misconception about who we are. (The connection between Fair Game and Scientology would need to be strongly made on pamphlets, tho)
That also leads nicely into *why* protesters wear masks, to protect against Fair Gaming. And there have been examples of FG happening here already (just ask OB!)

Perhaps a large banner could be erected above a stall with pamphlets, etc in somewhere prominent like City Mall outside $tarbucks or Ballentynes where there is lots of foot traffic?

For fun, you could even set up a "hinky" (to borrow a word from Wise Beard Man) Carnival-type game that people obviously can't succeed in, but if they do they get "Total Freedom". (A play on the 'Fair Game' concept.. hah, lame)

Does anyone know if there is a 'Fair Game' website for this month? (There was Reconnect.org for April)

Fliers, pamphlets, whatever need to be short and to the point with a reference to getting more information.

Sorry, lots of this is thinking out loud, but I'm putting it out there :)
Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

Ew, Starbucks.

We had more people coming past in the Square than when we were by Ballantynes last time, iirc.
OnceBitten
Editors

Seize the moment

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »

Yeah, Kelz is right.  The square was a really busy place and I also think people were much more receptive to taking a pamphlet while were in the square too.  Where we were first off was a great place.
Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »

It was good.

Once, hows that banner going?

And I'm broke, so trying to get friend to buy party hats or something so we can be slightly festive. xD
OnceBitten
Editors

Seize the moment

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »

Banner will be ready.   I think I have some party hats here left over from a kid's party.  I'll have a look and see if you like....
Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »

Sure, that'd be great. ^^
Black Night

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »

Hey, see you there Kelz. I will be wearing the same mask as last time.
Willuknight

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »

so 11am right?
Kelz
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

11am.

I has party hats.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: