Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lawsuits  (Read 57941 times)
AnonKiwi
Regulars

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »

NAUGHTY SCIENTOLOGY!

rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:14 AM »

There is one thing scios don't really understand.  It's their policy to "handle" today's problem - any way they can.  However putting something off usually means it will come another day.  Now look what's happening - it's come back just as another batch of lawsuits arrive.

I can see the beginning of the end game.

regards
Martin
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 07:30:24 PM »

Lawyer again takes on Church of Scientology

By Mike Brassfield, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Saturday, February 21, 2009

CLEARWATER ? Taking on the Church of Scientology in court is like picking a fight with the Russian army. When attacked, the church defends itself aggressively, wearing down opponents with a barrage of litigation while peering into their personal lives.

Ken Dandar knows this better than anyone. In the 7-year-long Lisa McPherson case, the Tampa lawyer and the church waged one of the most grueling, fiercely contested legal battles in Tampa Bay history.

The wrongful death lawsuit became intensely acrimonious, with Dandar calling Scientology a ruthless cult and church officials countersuing and calling him a liar, a religious bigot and an ambulance chaser. The David-and-Goliath fight had Dandar flying solo against a squadron of top-notch lawyers.

Now, by targeting the church in another wrongful death suit, Dandar and his two-man law firm are essentially ringing the bell for Round 2.

What is he thinking?

"It's like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute. Once you've done it, you can do it again," Dandar said.

He adds: "I anticipate this will be a completely different type of case. I do not anticipate any personal attacks on anybody from any direction."

He says this with a straight face. He pauses for a beat.

Then he laughs.

? ? ?

In the case of McPherson, a 36-year-old Scientologist who died in 1995 while in the care of church staffers in Clearwater, Dandar eventually won a confidential settlement for her family.

The latest lawsuit stems from the death of Kyle Brennan, 20, who shot himself in the head two years ago in Clearwater while visiting his father, who is a Scientologist. Brennan's mother blames Scientology, while the church says it has no connection whatsoever to the suicide.

"This case is meritless," said Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis. "It's an attempt to draw the church into something the church has nothing to do with."

Dandar says no other attorney would take the case.

"I don't care about Scientology or what they believe in," the longtime civil litigator said. "The only reason I took the case is because my client lost her son. She couldn't find another lawyer, and I have all this expertise. I had no choice."

There are similarities and differences between the two cases.

Both people who died were mentally unstable, and their cases touch on one of the most controversial tenets of the religion ? its fervent opposition to psychiatry and psychiatric drugs.

? ? ?

The Lisa McPherson case generated nightmarish publicity for Scientology, which has made a concerted effort to play a more visible role in the civic life of Clearwater, its spiritual headquarters.

In 1995, after a minor traffic accident, McPherson acted strangely and was taken to a nearby hospital for psychiatric evaluation. But fellow Scientologists quickly brought her to the church's Fort Harrison Hotel.

According to church staffers, McPherson became crazed, attacked her caregivers, spat out food, cried and broke things. She never saw a doctor. She was given injections of magnesium and sedatives and was force-fed liquid Benadryl, ground aspirin and juice.

After 17 days, gaunt and unresponsive, she was driven 45 minutes to a New Port Richey hospital to be seen by a Scientologist doctor. But she was already dead.

The church has always maintained that staffers were trying to nurse McPherson through her breakdown when she died unexpectedly from a blood clot stemming from her traffic accident.

Felony charges against Scientology were dropped in 2000, but the battles in civil court raged for four more years. The paperwork reached 200 volumes, as tall as a two-story building.

Church leaders called the lawsuit an assault on Scientology funded by church haters. They accused Dandar of professional misconduct and perjury.

When asked about the seven-year case, Dandar refuses to discuss it other than to say, "It was seven and a half years."

One major difference between Dandar's two cases: McPherson died while in the church's care, while Brennan shot himself in his Scientologist father's private apartment.

? ? ?

The new lawsuit, filed in Tampa federal court, names the church, Brennan's father and two other Scientology parishioners: Denise Gentile, twin sister of the church's worldwide leader, David Miscavige, and her husband, Gerald Gentile.

The lawsuit alleges that the Gentiles persuaded Brennan's father to take away the unstable young man's antidepression medication, Lexapro, which led to Brennan's death.

Scientology officials say that none of these people work for the church and that a Clearwater police investigation pokes holes in the lawsuit's assertions.

"We believe there are no facts to support the allegations against them," said the Gentiles' attorney, Lee Fugate, who represented Scientology in the McPherson case.

Dandar says witnesses will dispute parts of the police report. He suggests the parishioners were taking direction from church officials: "It'll all come out."

Although a criminal prosecutor must establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the standard of proof in civil wrongful-death cases is lower. Dandar would have to convince a jury that, more likely than not, negligence led to Brennan's death.

? ? ?

This time around, Dandar doesn't have a wealthy anti-Scientology backer like Robert Minton, who spent $2-million to fund the McPherson lawsuit.

Instead, he's taking the Brennan case on a contingency basis. He says other lawyers are raising their eyebrows at him.

"The Church of Scientology is a tenacious foe," said Clearwater lawyer Denis de Vlaming, who has represented church critics.

"I think Ken knows what he's in for ? a smack-down, drag-out, winner-take-all cage match. For him to say he'll do that again after what he went through, it's probably like going through childbirth again immediately after leaving the delivery room."

Mike Brassfield can be reached at brassfield@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4160.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/civil/article977928.ece
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »

Florida Man Demands $29K Narconon Refund

MIAMI (CN) - A Florida man claims he endured "horrible and outlandish mistreatment" at a Narconon treatment center in Newport Beach, Calif. During his 3.5 days at the Scientology-affiliated center, Pablo Mendoza claims he was sexually assaulted by a male masseuse, profanely taunted by another student, and forced to scrub the kitchen because he is Hispanic.
Mendoza learned of Narconon through his brother, Adonis Mendoza, who found the center online, according to a lawsuit filed in Miami-Dade County Court. Narconon allegedly told Adonis that Pablo would have to fly out to California to treat his cocaine addition, even though Narconon has a treatment center in Clearwater, Fla.
Pablo, a Catholic, says Narconon pressured his brother into paying $29,000 for the 10-course medical treatment without disclosing its ties to the Church of Scientology. When Pablo arrived in California, he says the place was filthy, smoked-filled and freezing. He claims he was given pills that made him sick, and the staff refused to let him talk to anyone. He allegedly spent most of his time sitting on a "ripped up and broken couch."
He also says he was given a massage by a male instructor, who "rubbed his crotch on his hand and then Pablo Mendoza tucked his hands in."
"That was sexual abuse," says Pablo, who is married with children. "It was intolerable and unacceptable."
On his final day, Pablo says he was sitting with another student and a teacher, when the other student suddenly spread his legs and said, "I am gonna pull my dick out, I am going to jerk off and I'm gonna put the cum in your face." He claims the teacher "approved" this conduct.
Pablo called his brother and told him he wanted to go home, the suit claims. But Pablo and Adonis say Narconon refused to refund the "dubious and excessive" $29,000 program fee, despite Pablo's having attended only "1% of one program."
The Mendozas are represented by Frank Hollander.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/03/09/Florida_Man_Demands_$29K_Narconon_Refund.htm
OnceBitten
Editors

Seize the moment

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

Man!  Nothing like that happened to me!  The worst was when we were in the sauna and David Bloomberg cleared his throat and a big loogie flew out of his mouth and landed on my back!  It was gross but doesn't really compare with this .... 

Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

Former Scientology film production employees allege labor violations

10:15 PM PDT on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

By MICHAEL PERRAULT
The Press-Enterprise

Two former employees who worked more than a decade at the Church of Scientology's Golden Era Productions enclave near Hemet have filed lawsuits alleging the church violated federal and state labor laws and engaged in human trafficking.

Church of Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis called the lawsuits "utterly meritless," noting that hundreds of staff would boast about working conditions at the nearly 700-acre compound in Gilman Hot Springs.

"Working conditions at Gold Base are nothing short of spectacular," Davis said.

In separate lawsuits filed in Los Angeles Superior Court in time to meet a four-year statute of limitations, husband and wife Marc and Claire Headley claim they were paid less than 50 cents an hour and forced to work more than 100 hours a week. They claim they never received overtime pay or meal breaks and were required to sign documents under duress acknowledging they had forfeited their rights.

Davis said he could not discuss specifics of the lawsuits. But he said staff members agree to work on a "volunteer basis" and receive weekly stipends, with the Church covering all living, medical, dental and other expenses.

"As members of the religious order called the Sea Organization, we have dedicated our lives to the service of the Scientology religion," Davis said. "You can dedicate all of your time and efforts to your job without having to worry about paying your bills, cooking dinner, paying property taxes or this and that."

Barry Van Sickle, a Los Angeles attorney representing the Headleys, said the church must adhere to state and federal labor laws, including paying minimum wage, overtime and allowing proper breaks. He said the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that religious entities and nonprofits must abide by labor laws, including those regulating wages and employing minors.

Van Sickle anticipates it could be 18 months before the case goes to trial.

Claire Headley, now of Los Angeles, worked from 1991 to 2005 at Golden Era Productions. She contends she worked "long, hard hours for illegal wages, was forced to have (two) abortions to keep her job and was subjected to violations of personal rights and liberties for the purpose of obtaining forced labor.

"Church of Scientology International enslaves its employees through coercion, deceit, fear of reprisal, intimidation, forced signatures on oppressive documents and enforced poverty," the suit states.

Davis said he and other members of the Sea Organization religious order, including the Headleys, enter freely into the agreements. There is no expectation of being paid minimum wage, he said, and workers get days off and vacation time.

"Here's the thing that's so disingenuous about (the lawsuits)," Davis said. "When you join the Sea Organization, you know you are voluntarily signing up and becoming a part of a highly dedicated, highly disciplined, very regulated lifestyle as part of a religious order. It's tough. It's not meant to be easy."

Claire Headley signed an employment contract at 14 and eventually worked as an office assistant to David Miscavige, a longtime church leader, Van Sickle said.

Marc Headley worked from 1989 to 2005 on film and promotional materials at Golden Era Productions, commonly called Gold Base. He claims he was not paid minimum wage and often worked more than 100-hour, seven-day weeks without overtime. He calculated his pay at about 39 cents an hour. He said he was reluctant to leave because his mother and sister were active church members.

Marc Headley said in the lawsuit that when he ended his employment he was threatened with a "freeloader debt" of about $86,000, "used to intimidate and coerce employees into continuing to work under unlawful conditions."

The Headleys are seeking payment of minimum wage, overtime and other remedies.

Davis said hundreds of staff at Golden Era Productions produce as much as 300 hours of broadcast footage per week from around the world, and other materials and products. Many staff members have worked and lived at the compound for 25 years.

"We work, let me tell you, we work," Davis said. "But to complain about one's work schedule or how one's tenure went as a member would be kind of like being a Jesuit priest, leaving the order and complaining that I had to wear a robe every day, that I had to be celibate, that I had to read the Bible and do whatever the senior person in the Jesuit order said I had to do."

Reach Michael Perrault at 951-763-3464 or mperrault@PE.com

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_weblawsuit26.2f7dc3f.html

PS.
If only the Headleys had sent their story to "Youth for human rights"

anonyrat

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »

If only the Headleys had sent their story to "Youth for human rights"

lol
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »

The Story Behind Scientology's Slap Chop Scandal

http://gawker.com/5191018/the-story-behind-scientologys-slap-chop-scandal

For more...

http://gawker.com/5190402/the-hooker+beating-shamwow-guy-is-a-renegade-ex+scientologist
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:22:49 PM by Ididntcomeback » Logged
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »

Just in from Larry Brennan

As promised on a thread about the Fort Harrison I was predicting new epic litigation against organized scientology in April. That prediction has now been revised to between very early next week and mid April.

Project Code: The Perfect Shitstorm - Part D.

Subject Matter: Litigation, not specifying on what

Reason for Early Announcement: for the LULZ and for the Enturbulation

What site to watch for announcement of suit: IMHO: http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/

Also, I will also be posting about it and covering it on my blog.

Suggested actions for Current Readers: Brace for EPIC

For the Caek!

For the Lulz!

For the Enturbulation!

For little Davey!

That is all.

- Skipper
----------------------------------------------------------

For those who don`t know him...
Larry (Laurence) Brennan is the mastermind behind Scientology`s
impenetrable corporate labyrinth. Google "Larry Brennan declaration"
His blogspot: http://larrybren.blogspot.com/

He`s out now and he`s pissed.

Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 01:20:01 AM »

LAWSUIT FILED. April 2009.

Here it is.
Read it and weep Miscavige.

When Miscavige`s legal team explain the implications of these
lawsuits he will realize the game is up.
The "Doe" defendants is pure genius.
It opens the door on bringing the real owners of this multinational scam
into view.  Hang in there anons. The end is in sight.

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2009/04/14-laura-decrescenzos-lawsuit.html
useful_anon
Editors

I have nothing else to do.

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 02:58:39 AM »

awwww man i dont want it to be over. =( its been so fun. lol. i reckon drinks on ididntcomeback when its all over. ;-)

WOG 4 LIFE
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:33 AM »

Scientology protesters won't face charges

10:00 PM PDT on Friday, April 24, 2009

The Press-Enterprise

The Riverside County district attorney's office will not pursue criminal charges against two protesters cited for trespassing at the Church of Scientology compound outside San Jacinto.

Prosecutors said there was insufficient evidence to file charges after Mark Bunker and Douglas Owens were arrested and released Feb. 24 for blocking the driveway of Golden Era Studios on Gilman Springs Road.

The two men were part of a small protest that formed after the Riverside County Board of Supervisors proposed a no-picketing ordinance that would prohibit protesters from coming within 30 feet of any residences.

--John Asbury

jasbury@PE.com

Here it is along with the podcast of the story

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_E_protest25.4393933.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »

Blown for good (Mark Headley) ROUND ONE
               Watch a cult disintegrate.

Well we had the first round of depositions in my case a few weeks back. April 29th and 30th.

Barry and I arrived at the law offices of Proskauer Rose. Ken Moxon was there as well as two other OSA staff. Then the lead attorney for the Church was there as well. Anthony J. Oncidi.

Proskauer Rose LLP - ANTHONY J. ONCIDI

This firm is one of the biggest law firms in LA for labor and employment issues. They are defense attorneys.

They also had hired a court approved court reporter and videographer. They pointed the camera directly at me and I am the only one who appears on camera but Moxon and my attorney had mics on so we could hear what they were saying.

On our side it was me and Barry Van Sickle.

The first day of depositions were very chaotic and unprofessional. The court reporter said that in 30 years of depositions, she had never seen one this bad. Guess she has not been involved with any Scientology cases. Moxon’s whole game plan was to “dirty my needle” and gather as much intelligence as he could. EPIC FAIL on both fronts. When he was not interrupting every answer I had, he was attempting to put words in my mouth. The entire first day had zero to do with my case. Lots of fishing for info that was not there. While the day was rather boring and fruitless, it came and went quickly. If anyone was keeping score it was zero-zero. Pretty useless waste of time for the most part.

The next day would be a bit more exciting, lame but nonetheless better than day one. We spent hours going over how many times I went to Jack and the Box and Home Depot! Literally hours. At one point I stopped and said, “Can I just say for the record that we just spent 30 minutes arguing over how many time I went to Jack and the Box.” At one point during the deposition on the second day, everyone in the room was either fully asleep or nodding off except for Barry Myself and Moxon. It was truly boring and at one point another senior partner joined the deposition, Harold Brody.

Proskauer Rose LLP - HAROLD M. BRODY

He slept too. It was damn boring. When I got on a roll about being watched 24 hours and restricted to the base for months and not allowed to go home, Harold woke up and seemed a bit surprised. I am sure the attorneys were not told that Dave Miscavige was running the next best thing to a concentration camp in the middle of the California Desert. I am sure he is telling them what to do on this case though.

I could see that Moxon was trying to set up some big crescendo of revelations with about 50 questions but it never came. When he did finally throw out a huge hook that he thought would bring in a real good answer, my answer was the last thing he or anybody on their side wanted to hear. It was so damning that they bailed and decided to take a break. On the second day, they took many breaks. More bad stuff for them came up than they ever intended. Moxon and Oncidi have not been told all of the information that happened at the Int Base by a long shot. There are so many horrible, dreaded things that happened there and they have not been told 1% of them.

For a bit, I was able to really get some good info onto the record and give them a tiny glimpse of what was to come. Anytime this started to happen, it was “break time”. All they have are the illegal employment contracts. That‘s it. They have nothing else. We knew that from the beginning. Well the first two days of depositions pretty much confirmed that.

Dave Miscavige is running the handling of these cases. If he is not on the phone to the lawyers himself, he is talking to whoever is and telling them to call back and tell them that “so and so” is how the case is going to be run. Dave like multiple daily updates if not hourly. For those of you who do not know Dave Miscavige still has bad asthma. He also has a very very bad dry skin condition. If he slides his hand across a paper to hard, he will be cut and bleed. He will bleed from clinching his fist to tight. He rarely sleeps, He has fits of uncontrollable rage and he generally not too much fun to be around. (Just think Al Pacino in Scarface mixed with a shorter smaller version of the Predator) With that said, that was how I remember him in 2005. He generally got worse year after year. I cannot imagine what his condition has grown to by now. Eating shit sandwiches for a living is not good for your health either.

Dave Miscavige is about to hit critical mass in a big way. In the middle of all this legal crap that he has to deal with, (because he is the only one who can handle anything) He has the May 9th Event and the June 6th Event to somehow get produced (because he is the only one who does anything) Not only is the legal cases a bit distracting knowing that if they lose this case they are going to have to come up with an extra 400 million dollars a year in minimum wages, but The Scientology public are becoming more and more disaffected with Dave Miscavige each day. They are reading the stories on the internet. He is not telling them the truth about what is going on and this is creating a vacuum. Well that vacuum is being quite adequately filled with the Internet.

Super Power building still not done, all his bogus technical revisions to LRH materials, people being beaten and to top it all off, forced abortions. Now he is supposed to come out with some great big master plan to re-release the entire Bridge and come out with a new improved E-Meters and convince everyone to throw out the ones he made them buy a few years ago and just when he thought all this was at its peak – something else. There is a new storm brewing in Florida just off the coast and it is about to hit the mainland. It is a Force 10 and will blow Dave’s short shorts right off his ass.

I was waiting to post until the depositions were completed but at the last minute they have been cancelled for now. Out of the blue, they just cancelled. I knew this was going to happen. The storm is near and they know it. They are probably wrapping Dave’s shorts in duct tape as you read this.

Oh and I almost forgot, the second day of my deposition was Dave Miscavige’s 49th Birthday. I kid you not. God could not have planned it better. (If you don’t believe me - google him and you will see.) At the end of the second day, Moxon made me read out one of my forum posts from a few weeks ago. It was all about me sending Dave Miscavige and Tommy Davis some lube. Well I read the post out and when I was done Moxon asked me what it meant. I told him that I cared for Dave and Tommy and because I cared, I sent Dave a birthday gift. Moxon argued that the post was from April 23rd and that was not Dave’s birthday. I explained to Moxon that gifts had to be sent in advance BEFORE the actual birthday and whilst we all had a chuckle (except for Moxon) we left it at that. I also told him that LRH said that true art (my poetic writings) had to have some sort of contribution from the viewer and that whatever picture that Moxon had while reading about Dave Miscavige, Tommy Davis and a Costco size tub of lube was his contribution and that I was sure he contributed. He did not ask anymore about anymore posts after that.

Oh yeah, OSA, RTC and Dave Miscavige are reading ALL this crap on the Internet. It has been confirmed. They had 5 damn bankers boxes of this crap printed off and lined up in folders and all super duper organized. I think if you just mention Dave Miscavige in a post, someone at RTC is reading, printing it and categorizing it so Dave can get his daily dose. Del Taco– Feed the Beast! Dave is not happy about people talking about him, people shooping the hell out of him and anything else considered OUT-PR. Truth hurts - don’t it? Maybe you should have played nicer with all the little girls and boys and this would not have happened Davey.

In the end, I was able to get my wedding pictures, some family photos and some stuff I had not seen in years.

All in all it was good and I can’t wait for more.

Until next time…
BFG

P.S. If you do shoop something, make sure you call it what it is so it turns up in search results and crawls. I’m just saying…

Here is the thread on whyweprotest.

Round two posted here as soon as it happens.
his case could well be the straw that breaks Miscavige`s bank account.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/299-marc-headley-v-church-scientology-international/may-12th-case-update-marc-headley-case-45522/#post865105
NED

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »

Rock on BFG!!!!!!!!  Kick Ass!!!!!!!
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »

2009: The Year of The Scientology Lawsuit
Scientology sued by ex-scientologist for ruining her life.

05.22.2009 – Following the cases of Marc Headly and Claire Headly, another veteran of Scientology’s Sea Organization is suing the movement after 13 years on staff: she was so desperate to escape that she finally swallowed bleach to get herself kicked out, says the lawsuit.

Laura DeCrescenzo (née Dieckman) worked in Los Angeles for the Sea Org, which the movement describes as its elite cadre, between 1991 and 2004. She was recruited at the age of 12.

Scientology, the lawsuit argues, “stole Plaintiff’s youth and that of many others.”

Married at 16, she fell pregnant when she was 17. But her employers forced her to have an abortion because of the ban on Sea Org members having children, the lawsuit alleges.

DeCrescenzo also spent time on Scientology’s punishment programme, the Rehabilitation Project Force, or RPF.

“There are two very different versions of Scientology,” says the lawsuit. “There is the Scientology as presented to the outside world and there is a different Scientology in which Plaintiff lived and worked for approximately thirteen years.

“In the Scientology world Plaintiff experienced, twelve year old children are taken from their homes, asked to sign employment contracts and put to work. Pregnant women are coerced to have abortions.

“Employees work 100-hour weeks in the business ventures of Scientology at far less than minimum wage. There are no contributions to Social Security or employee pensions, although there is plenty of money to pay Scientology’s Chairman of the Board [David Miscavige], private investigators and lawyers.

“Personal freedoms are restricted and severe punishments are used to keep employees in line… That is the context of this litigation.”

Laura DeCrescenzo joins Claire and Marc Headley, two other former staffers, who filed lawsuits earlier this year against the Church of Scientology International (CSI).

Attorney Barry van Sickle, who is acting for all three plaintiffs, filed the new lawsuit in the Los Angeles courts Thursday (April 2, 2009).

In addition to the grounds listed in the earlier lawsuits this complaint develops fresh lines of attack:
it challenges Scientology’s practice of using what it calls a “primitive lie detector” to interrogate its employees in security checks;
it questions the legal validity of the Sea Org employment contracts, as well as the waiver forms and other documents it says they are required to sign if ever they leave;
and it accuses Scientology officials of trying to discourage potential witnesses in the lawsuits through bribery and intimidation.

Laura DeCrescenzo – or Dieckman as she then was – was born into Scientology. Both her parents were members and she grew up going to Scientology schools.

By the age of nine, she was already working on staff at one of the movement’s centres, says the lawsuit. “She obtained a work permit and became effectively a full-time employee of Scientology from age ten.”

In 1991, at the age of 12, she was persuaded to sign the billion-year Sea Organization contract. Leaving her family behind in New Mexico, she flew to Los Angeles to start work for them there. She spent the next 13 years working for the Sea Org.

DeCrescenzo’s Sea Org recruiter had promised her she would be able to visit her parents and eventually have children of her own and raise a family.

These promises were never fully honoured, says the complaint.

“Once in, it was all work and little else. Plaintiff discovered she had almost no personal freedom. Planned visits to family were restricted, delayed and cut short. She was 12 – 13 years old and not allowed unrestricted access to her parents.

“She could not visit her parents without special permission and being ‘sec checked’. She would be ‘sec checked’ again upon her return.”

A “sec check” or security check, is when an employee is questioned to ensure that they are still loyal to Scientology. It is carried out using the device Scientologists usually use in their therapy, or auditing, sessions: an electropsychometer, or e-meter.

DeCrescenzo married a fellow Scientologist when she was 16. In 1996, when she was 17, she became pregnant.

“Having children was against the dictates of top management at Scientology,” says the complaint.

“Plaintiff had been working for far less than minimum wage, had no money, no car, no place to call her own, and no medical insurance or coverage. Plaintiff felt trapped and without viable options.”

To remain in good standing with her employers, she had an abortion, it adds. “Plaintiff has knowledge of other female employees ordered to have abortions.”

During her time in the Sea Org, DeCrescenzo performed mainly clerical or administrative work. But for a period, she was assigned to the Rehabilitation Project Force.

Scientology characterises the RPF as a chance for members who have slipped from the movement’s high ethical standards to redeem themselves. But the DeCrescenzo lawsuit describes it as a highly abusive process.

“Work on the RPF is designed to control, coerce, punish, inflict emotional distress and break the will of the victim,” it says.

“The working conditions are severely harsh. Personal liberty is non-existent. Plaintiff worked on the RPF for over two years, which caused her significant emotional distress.”

The bleach incident was partly due to DeCrescenzo’s determination to quit the Sea Org after having failed to win her release from the RFP.

“Plaintiff spent over two years on the RPF and was headed back to the RPF when she escaped by swallowing bleach and pretending to be suicidal,” says the lawsuit.

She made sure her action was witnessed to ensure she would be kicked off staff. The plan worked, but her employers still wanted to ensure that she left on their terms, the complaint adds.

“After being deemed a suicide risk for swallowing bleach, Plaintiff was brought into a room to sign her ‘exit’ papers. Plaintiff was under extreme duress and just wanted to get out without having to undergo hours or days of emotional abuse.”

DeCrescenzo was required to sign a series of documents before she was allowed to leave, says the complaint. “The papers contained a list of her ‘crimes’ and confidential matters revealed in the ‘sec checking’ procedure described above.” She was not given copies of those documents.

During her exit interview DeCrescenzo was told not just that she had no legal recourse against Scientology but that she owed the movement about 120,000 dollars for the training she had received since the age of 12.

This debt is known as a Freeloader’s Bill in Scientology. A freeloader, according to the definition in one Scientology dictionary, is “any person who has failed to complete a staff contract at a Sea Org or Scn [Scientology] org or mission.”

DeCrescenzo initially paid off 10,000 dollars of this debt: having spent years under Scientology’s “undue influence”, she believed it to be her legal obligation, says the complaint.

“Plaintiff had little formal education or sophistication as she had been effectively isolated from mainstream society and culture.” She is now seeking a refund of what the lawsuit describes as an unenforceable debt.

This is the third lawsuit that van Sickle has filed on behalf of a former Sea Org member since the beginning of the year. But this new complaint introduces several new elements.

Van Sickle focuses on the security checks carried out on employees using the Scientology e-meter. The lawsuit describes the e-meter as a primitive lie detector, echoing the conclusion reached by several court-appointed experts and official reports.

Scientology’s founder L. Ron Hubbard attributed almost supernatural properties to the device in his 1952 operator’s manual: “It sees all, knows all. It is never wrong.”

In a 1960 policy letter (“Interrogation: how to use an E-meter on a silent subject”), he even suggested the device could be used to question criminals and terrorists. “Don’t use guns, use E-meters to make a country safe,” he wrote.

But the lawsuit argues that by obliging DeCrescenzo and other employees to submit to this kind of questioning, Scientology was flouting state and federal laws against the use of lie detectors in this context.

“The sec checking procedure constitutes a gross invasion of privacy and is used to gather embarrassing data on employees,” Van Sickle argues.

“The threat of using confidential and embarrassing information collected and recorded in the ‘sec check’ process is used to control employees. This practice borders on blackmail.”

The lawsuit also accuses Scientology of deceiving its employees by telling them they have no rights.

“[Decrescenzo] was not told of her rights to be paid a proper wage for her labor or of her right not to be subjected to physical punishment, sexual discrimination, coercion, intimidation and forced labor,” van Sickle argues.

Since she signed her departure documents under duress, they should be set aside as invalid, he adds. “[She] did not freely consent to the unconscionable and unlawful terms of her termination papers.”

Finally, the new lawsuit accuses Scientology officials of having contacted former members to dissuade them from backing the legal actions against the movement.

The Church of Scientology International (CSI) and its operatives “have gone on a ‘mission’ to silence and buy off witnesses and potential plaintiffs” says the lawsuit.

“In addition to buying silence with the purported debt forgiveness, Defendant CSI has used threats of punishing friends and family as the currency with which to buy off potential witnesses and claimants.

“Defendant’s efforts to silence witnesses by threats, coercion, forgiveness of alleged ‘Freeloader Debt’ and threats of breaking up families, constitutes obstruction of justice, witness tampering and illegal retaliation…” the lawsuit alleges.

DeCrescenzo is seeking her back pay, damages, the formal cancellation of any illegal documents she signed while on staff and an injunction against Scientology to prevent them either bribing or intimidating potential witnesses in her case.

http://www.pitchengine.com/teamanonymous/2009-the-year-of-the-scientology-lawsuit/12666/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: