Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books exposing the cult.  (Read 31998 times)
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« on: March 19, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »

The new book ? BLOWN FOR GOOD is almost done and we are about to begin final production!

Well, as part of the initial sales of the book, we have consulted past authors of books that have been done on this subject. Some of these authors completed the books and they never saw the light of day. Some past books were printed and certain people bought up all of the copies while the publishers were slapped with frivolous suits or threats of suits and frightened out of producing more copies.

Well, the good people at BFG Inc and their lawyers have figured out some ways to get around these silly games.

We want all those who want a copy of the new BFG book to register themselves for a copy. All this takes is an email address. Once we get so many pre-orders we will send out an email that says the book is ready for ordering and where to go to get your copy. We even put up a counter on the pre-register page so you can keep track of how many pre-orders there are.

Because the publisher of this book is confidential, and the first printing amount is confidential, all those who pre-register will get their copies before anyone can swoop in and buy up the copies in bulk.

NO bulk sales of the book will be done until every pre-registered person has had 2 full weeks to get a copy.

Now as the book is a detailed explanation of violations of labor laws and abuses over a 15 year period, any retaliation, attempted cease and desist or otherwise silencing of this book will be against the law based on the current labor and wages abuses lawsuit that is pending. So we have covered all bases here and plan to get this book out to the people. With all of the data, they should be able to make an accurate decision on whether this group should be attacked, harmed or suppressed or helped.

Some details about the book. We plan to sell the book in to all countries of the world. It will be a hardcover book. It will have pictures and all sorts of details about stuff you have read about from BFG over the years all over the net. Most of the stories you read about on the boards were excerpts or small parts of the overall book itself. The book goes into much more detail and has basically 15 years worth of information on everything from why certain buildings never get built to what Dave likes to wear to bed at night! This book will be a must read for Scientologists and critics alike.

We plan to accept PAYPAL, all major credit cards, checks, money order, cash, food stamps, and certain favors as payment via the web, mail and back alley meetings.

So go www.blownforgood.com and reserve yourself a copy! It is on the left hand side of the site.

If all goes as planned, we should be able to have printed books shipping out in the next few months.

Until next time?
BFG
And be BLOWNFORGOOD!
anonyrat

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

I wonder if it will be available in New Zealand?
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »

"The Symphony of Leif,"

by Paul Y. Csige (CsiMec, Inc., $14.95 through Amazon.com)

Csige is a scarily talented young fellow from Kailua-Kona who seems able to do just about anything. His latest effort is this coming-of-age novel — apparently, a disguised memoir — about a teenage lad sent off from Hawaii to attend a Scientology boarding school in the Pacific Northeast. Everything seems swell until he realizes that the teachers are more interested in indoctrination than in learning.

The thing about coming-of-age novels is that the protagonist comes out the other end changed. They're about metamorphosis. There's room, sure, for settling old scores — and teenage horrors stick with you for life — but the hero is essentially mutable clay, fired by experience.

Csige seems to understand the process instinctively, and also sets up a natural rhythm in the storytelling that matches the adolescent goofiness of a boy trying to grow up.

Review

http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/featuresstories/20100912_copious_phrasing_interrupts_kona_writers_novel.html

The Book site

http://www.thesymphonyofleif.com/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:50:04 AM by Ididntcomeback » Logged
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »

Janet Reitman, reknowned journalist and contributing editor for Rolling Stone magazine, is expanding from and following up on her epic 2006 RS magazine article on scientology with a new book:

Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion
 Originally Posted by Amazon.com
Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion [Hardcover]
List Price: $28.00
Amazon Price: $18.48

Product Description:

Scientology, created in 1954 by a prolific sci-fi writer named L. Ron Hubbard, claims to be the world's fastest growing religion, with millions of members around the world and huge financial holdings. Its celebrity believers keep its profile high, and its teams of "volunteer ministers" offer aid at disaster sites such as Haiti and the World Trade Center. But Scientology is also a notably closed faith, harassing journalists and others through litigation and intimidation, even infiltrating the highest levels of the government to further its goals. Its attacks on psychiatry and its requirement that believers pay into the tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars for salvation have drawn scrutiny and skepticism. And ex-members use the Internet to share stories of harassment and abuse.

Now Janet Reitman offers the first full journalistic history of the Church of Scientology, in an evenhanded account that at last establishes the astonishing truth about the controversial religion. She traces Scientology's development from the birth of Dianetics to today, following its metamorphosis from a pseudoscientific self-help group to a worldwide spiritual corporation with profound control over its followers and even ex-followers.

Based on five years of research, unprecedented access to Church officials, confidential documents, and extensive interviews with current and former Scientologists, this is the defining book about a still-unknown world.

Product details
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (5 July 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0618883029
ISBN-13: 978-0618883028

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/reitman-book-inside-scientology-story-americas-most-secretive-religion-72339/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:57 PM »

Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion

Out in 2011.
Janet Reitman (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Scientology-Americas-Secretive-Religion/dp/0618883029

Here is Janet, who works for "Rolling Stone being interviewed . Obviously before Rinder blew. As he defends the cult with his expertise in communication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BH3o94rRZk
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »

French book on Scientology's political infiltrations.

Author Emmanuel Fansten just sent me a copy of his new book about the political infiltrations Scientology perpetrated in France, including duping the French President.
The political intrigue goes deep.

SCIENTOLOGIE: AUTOPSY D'UNE SECTE D'ETAT

SCIENTOLOGY: AUTOPSY ON A NATIONAL CULT --- approx translation (?)

It is not about the so called religious nature of the sect but about OSA based manipulations and covert operations.

Published by a national publishing house "Robert Laffont", so this has top level credibility in France.

Brief book review
A brief review of
Scientologie: Autopsie d'une secte d'État by Emmanuel Fansten
Published by Éditions Robert Laffont, 2010, 235 pages.

The word "autopsie" in the title of journalist Emmanuel Fansten's recently published book is no doubt premature, but this book does offer a fascinating and spellbinding post mortem review of more than twenty years of Scientology-related events, particularly in France and the United States.

Fansten quotes confidential source material which illustrates that France's willingness to condemn and to prosecute Scientology became a contentious issue in Franco-American diplomatic relations after the Church of Scientology reached a secret agreement with the United States Internal Revenue Service in 1993 granting Scientology tax-exempt status. Defusing tensions between France and the United States was part of Nicolas Sarkozy's political strategy in his drive toward the French presidency, and this plus the post-September 11 climate explains why, as Interior Minister in 2002, Sarkozy instructed the Renseignements Généraux, the French equivalent of the FBI, to stop monitoring cults as it had been doing since the mid-1990s, and why, as Finance Minister in August 2004, Sarkozy held a high-profile meeting with Tom Cruise. Scientology's 2009 Paris trial for organized fraud was deemed so sensitive that the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs set up a special religion desk to manage the international repercussions.

Infiltration, trickery, and "accidental errors" are common threads of the stories in this book. In 1996, while a report on cults was presented to the French National Assembly, Danièle Gounord, the spokesperson for Scientology in France, and two other Scientologists mysteriously appeared in the seats reserved for the guests of cabinet ministers. An investigation revealed that a parliamentarian was tricked into inviting them. In 1998, one and a half of the ten volumes of documents concerning a fraud case against Scientology disappeared in the Paris Court House after Judge Marie-Paule Morracchini placed the files on a table for delivery to a clerk. The ensuing investigation identified a suspect but failed to find enough evidence to lay charges. In 1999, files were "accidentally" destroyed while another Scientology fraud investigation was under way in Marseille; the substitute prosecutor in that case was Solange Moracchini, sister of Judge Marie-Paule Moracchini. In 2009, a cut-and-paste error in the text of a revised law deleted the provision that would have allowed the court to order the dissolution of Scientology in France. The book gives many more such examples.

Fansten also mentions academics who have written complacent articles about Scientology and famous persons who have signed petitions criticizing the treatment of Scientology in Germany, some of them not realizing that their names would be splashed on full-page newspaper ads defending Scientology. Film director Costa-Gavras, for instance, told Fansten that he signed a petition as nothing more than a friendly gesture to John Travolta.

Exploitation of celebrities in France and America, WISE businesses managed along Scientology principles, attempts to infiltrate Masonic lodges, Operation Snow White, Operation Freakout, the birth of Anonymous, Marc Headley's story, the resignation of Paul Haggis, all this and a wealth of other details are covered in Emmanuel Fansten's book. As attorney Graham Berry told Fansten, "The last time a group carried this much weight and influence in the United States, it was the Mafia during J. Edgar Hoover's reign at the FBI." Given the current mass desertions from Scientology and the description of Scientology leader David Miscavige as a brutal sociopath, it is quite possible that Miscavige might, like founder L. Ron Hubbard, end his life as a fugitive.

Note: A few of the events related in Emmanuel Fansten's book are described in the documentary The Mystery of the Missing Files (in French with English subtitles).

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/french-book-scientologys-political-infiltrations-74065/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:41 AM »

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to Publish the First Complete Account of Scientology

Inside Scientology by Rolling Stone journalist Janet Reitman to be published on July 5, 2011
February 08, 2011 11:16 AM Eastern Time

BOSTON--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Trade and Reference Division today announced that it will publish Inside Scientology: The Story of America’s Most Secretive Religion, based on confidential documents, more than 100 interviews with current and former Scientologists, and five years of research. This book confirms the astonishing truth within the controversial religion.

Pulitzer Prize winning author Lawrence Wright (who mentions the book in his current New Yorker piece about Paul Haggis’ defection from Scientology) praises Inside Scientology, calling it “an engrossing, groundbreaking work that brings a welcome sense of fair-mindedness to a subject that is, for many journalists and scholars, too hot to touch.”

Scientology conjures images of its celebrity believers, its notably aggressive response to criticism or its attacks on psychiatry, and its requirement that believers pay as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars to reach the highest levels of salvation. In Inside Scientology Reitman reveals all, starting with how the singular L. Ron Hubbard transformed a self-help group into a worldwide spiritual corporation.

As Hubbard became increasingly paranoid and reclusive, a young acolyte named David Miscavige assumed control. After Hubbard’s death in 1986, Miscavige quickly purged the ranks and began to transform the church once again. Miscavige has overseen some of the church’s greatest triumphs — among them a controversial billion-dollar IRS tax exemption and Tom Cruise’s emergence as a vocal advocate — but he has also created a climate of fear and intimidation, according to ex-members whose stories of abuse Reitman shares. Reitman is the first to examine Miscavige’s twenty-five year reign and what it might mean for the future of the church.

Inside Scientology is an utterly compelling work of nonfiction and the defining work on an elusive faith.

Janet Reitman was a finalist for a National Magazine Award in 2007 for the story “Inside Scientology,” from which this book grew. She is a contributing editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has appeared in GQ, Men’s Journal, the Los Angeles Times Sunday Magazine, and the Washington Post, among other publications. She holds a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University.

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110208006752/en/Houghton-Mifflin-Harcourt-Publish-Complete-Account-Scientology

Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

ExOT8Michael book project.

March 19 2011

In order to "uncelebrate" the 100th anniversary (no "birthday", as he is extremely dead) of the fake guru Hubbard I am intending to write a book to debunk Scientology from a very new viewpoint.
    I think the world need to know what I have to say. Too many people have been scammed by Scientology, and the fraud continues. Anonymous has weakened the cult and that is "epic win", but more needs to be done.

I am just going to leave this here.

Details:

I had direct experience of being a Scientologist from 1973 to 1997. I went from "raw public" to OT8 and spent about half a million dollars to do it. I knew Hubbard's children and the top trained Scientologists and was a very top Scientologist "public" person.
    I was a staff member for almost 3 years, and a "Scientology celebrity" (with the same handlers and connections as all the other celebs in the cult) for over 15 years.
    I had close and frequent association and friendships with top Scientology executives, mostly in Clearwater as an OT7 and OT8.
    After a very costly and difficult six year internal fight against injustice I got from Scientology management from 1991 to 1997 I left Scientology and filed a major lawsuit against DM and all the relevant Scientology corporations. I knew I was putting myself at high risk but I decided to go ahead anyhow. Rather than lose the case in Court (as they surely would have) the Scientology cult litigation mob chose to abuse the Justice System, engage in illegal actions they could "get away with", as well as over-litigating to bankrupt both me and my attorney, Graham Berry. Due to being bankrupted I was forced to drop the case.
    The experiences I had in Scientology were unique, and insights I gained about the workings of this insidious cult have not yet been published, especially in a book. I have been "healing" from this bad experience since 1997, and part of that was to make notes of the insights I had about the cult and how it manipulates people. Those (large amount of) notes will be the book contents. Those insightful notes are fully ready to be written up.
    A main viewpoint of this book will be why Hubbard technology is a trap for innocent people, and how it does that. It will also contain examples of why the "tech" does not work in fact.

Here's why I post this here (and please feel free to cross post this in full to other sites).
    I can write the book but I need time to do it, and funds to make that time available. I work 3 jobs to make ends meet but have no extra money to make the time to write such a book as this.
    I am asking for help with this aspect of getting the book done.

People can help by donating, or abstain from helping, as they wish. I have never asked for anything on here before for my own interests, and that is not the aim here. I think this is of general interest and importance so is a wider social matter than just "all about me". I don't feel any need or desire to do anything all about me anyways.

I am asking for donations, but if folks want something for their cash in return I am willing to send art reproductions of my artworks (www.mpattinson.smugmug.com) in appropriate measure to give good value. The help I get will be very appreciated, and I respect anonymity of Anons totally (as I have since 2008).

I will create the book with the resources I may receive, so if I get big help = big book, small help = small book. LOL Time is money.
    It will be nice to get this info out.
    I can self publish this if no other publisher gets interested, so it will get done.
    I am sure we will come up with a great title.

Logistics;

PM; here on WWP as ExOT8Michael

My email : mpattinson@gmail.com

...which is my PayPal email account, so you can donate there if you want to.

My address (which has never been a secret) for money orders or travelers checks anonymously or personally sent, or for checks or whatever. Thanks !!! in advance for your generosity. Love U guise.

Michael Pattinson
    1320 Miller Drive, West Hollywood, California, USA 90069.

exOT8Michael, Today at 12:15 PM

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/exot8michael-book-project.78098/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »

New PDF version of "L.Ron Hubbard - Messiah or Madman?" by Brent Croydon

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/new-pdf-version-of-l-ron-hubbard-messiah-or-madman-by-brent-croydon.78087/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »

http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »

This time. Not a book. But a movie.

Filmfest DC 2011: Films that entertain and bear urgent witness

.....But a core sample taken from the more than 70 features at this year’s Filmfest D.C. reveals films of even more significant and timely substance. This year the festival will feature two U.S. premieres: “Scientology: The Truth About a Lie,” Jean-Charles Deniau’s chronicle of L. Ron Hubbard’s organization and former devotees who spent millions of dollars before breaking free.

While “Scientology” doesn’t break any new formal ground, hewing to formulaic stock footage and talking heads, the film nonetheless provides chilling insights into a notoriously difficult world for outsiders to peer into....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/filmfest-dc-2011-films-that-entertain-and-bear-urgent-witness/2011/04/06/AFyolPrC_story.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »

Book Review: Inside Scientology

** PRESS RELEASE **

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to Publish
    the First Complete Account of Scientology

Inside Scientology
    by Rolling Stone journalist Janet Reitman
    to be published on July 5, 2011

February 08, 2011 11:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time

BOSTON--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Trade and Reference Division today announced that it will publish Inside Scientology: The Story of America’s Most Secretive Religion, based on confidential documents, more than 100 interviews with current and former Scientologists, and five years of research.

This book confirms the astonishing truth within the controversial religion.

Pulitzer Prize winning author Lawrence Wright (who mentions the book in his current New Yorker piece about Paul Haggis’ defection from Scientology) praises Inside Scientology, calling it “an engrossing, groundbreaking work that brings a welcome sense of fair-mindedness to a subject that is, for many journalists and scholars, too hot to touch.”

Scientology conjures images of its celebrity believers, its notably aggressive response to criticism or its attacks on psychiatry, and its requirement that believers pay as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars to reach the highest levels of salvation. In Inside Scientology Reitman reveals all, starting with how the singular L. Ron Hubbard transformed a self-help group into a worldwide spiritual corporation.

As Hubbard became increasingly paranoid and reclusive, a young acolyte named David Miscavige assumed control. After Hubbard’s death in 1986, Miscavige quickly purged the ranks and began to transform the church once again. Miscavige has overseen some of the church’s greatest triumphs — among them a controversial billion-dollar IRS tax exemption and Tom Cruise’s emergence as a vocal advocate — but he has also created a climate of fear and intimidation, according to ex-members whose stories of abuse Reitman shares. Reitman is the first to examine Miscavige’s twenty-five year reign and what it might mean for the future of the church.

Inside Scientology is an utterly compelling work of nonfiction and the defining work on an elusive faith.

Janet Reitman was a finalist for a National Magazine Award in 2007 for the story “Inside Scientology,” from which this book grew. She is a contributing editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has appeared in GQ, Men’s Journal, the Los Angeles Times Sunday Magazine, and the Washington Post, among other publications. She holds a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

The book will be released July 5th or possibly sooner on Amazon. June 13th for the Kindle version, as far as I can tell.

I've been reading the book most of the day (advance copy) and will give a bit of a review over the weekend when I have more time.

It's over 400 pages long and is very well written as you'd expect, coming from a first-rate author like Janet Reitman. Just superb writing and research. The author, not being an ex-Scio, really knows her stuff and is very well versed and comfortable with this vast subject and its 60-70 year time span. I felt I was reading a book by someone who had been in for many years.

On the acknowledgments page, Janet mentions most all the well-known modern-day critics and whistle blowers on the Internet today. She's interviewed all of them.

The notes for each chapter at the end of the book are thorough and an education in themselves. Very interesting notes and I've read about everything there is about the subject.

Bibliography, thorough and excellent.

Since I've read most all of the other published books about LRH and Scientology, I've encountered most of the information in the early chapters. It's all presented well, though maybe not in as much detail as compared to the Miller book.

However, this book updates the events of the past 20 years and current events quite well, which is the point of it.

I'll write a bit more about each section over the weekend, but I'll say one more thing.

The chapters DM and Power is Assumed, for me, were phenomenal. Worth the price of admission as they say. Though I've read a lot on the Internet, almost everything available, the author threads together the entire story from the time period just before LRH's death through to the ousting of Pat Broeker and unfortunate fate of Annie Broeker. All the delicious details are there. Stuff I never knew and written so one gets what happened and how. No names left out. Good stuff.

For me, no mystery now about how "the power" was usurped and held, though amazing that it could have happened at all. (Guess who's gonna have a bad day when he reads those chapters.)

Introduction
Part 1

1. The Founder
    2. Dianetics
    3. The Franchised Faith

Part 2

4 Bridge to Total Freedom
    5.Travels with the Commodore
    6. Over the Rainbow
    7. DM
    8. Power is Assumed

Part 3

9. Lisa
    10. Flag
    11. Seventeen Days
    12 The Greatest Good

Part 4

13. The Celebrity Strategy
    14. The Seduction of Tom Cruise
    15.The Bubble
    16. Int
    17. Exodus

Epilogue
Notes
Selected Bibliography
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

Scientology: Christmas Comes Early with TWO New Books on Hubbard's Wacky Cabal
By Tony Ortega, Mon., Jun. 6 2011 at 3:52 PM
Comments (16)
Categories: Scientology
Share3
0digg

​This Scientology watcher is beside himself with joy. In the past couple of days, we've received not one but TWO new advance copies of new books on Scientology.

One, an academic approach put out by the Princeton University Press, the other, a likely blockbuster by Rolling Stone contributing editor Janet Reitman.

Oh, is my subway reading going to be a hoot!

Reitman's expose, Inside Scientology, has been anticipated since her similarly titled 2007 Rolling Stone article. Promises the back cover: "A revelatory, page-turning investigation that pulls back the curtain on life inside Scientology." Woo-hoo!

​Several days before Reitman's book arrived, however, a similar-looking volume arrived in the mail. I hadn't heard about this one at all. Ohio State University professor Hugh B. Urban says he set out to write about Scientology from an academic perspective, and keep above the fray that surrounds the controversial group. Well, good luck with that! I'm really looking forward to diving into his The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion.

It's really exciting to see this kind of material finally getting serious, mainstream attention, after some of us have toiled for many years trying to warn the public about Hubbard's wacky cabal.

Now, I have to get to reading!

tortega@villagevoice.com | @VoiceTonyO

Tony Ortega is the editor-in-chief of The Village Voice. Since 1995, he's been writing about Scientology at several publications. Among his other stories about L. Ron Hubbard's organization:

The Larry Wollersheim Saga -- Scientology Finally Pays For Its Fraud
The Tory Bezazian (Christman) Story -- How the Internet Saved A Scientologist From Herself
The Jason Beghe Defection -- A Scientology Celebrity Goes Rogue
The Robert Cipriano Case -- A Hellacious Example of Fair Game
The Paul Haggis Ultimatum -- The 'Crash' Director Tells Scientology to Shove It
The Marc Headley Escape -- 'Tom Cruise Told Me to Talk to a Bottle'
The Aaron Saxton Accusation -- Australia turns up the heat on Scientology
The Jefferson Hawkins Stipulation -- Scientology's former PR genius comes clean
The Daniel Montalvo Double-Cross -- Scientology lures a young defector into a trap
A Church Myth Debunked -- Scientology and Proposition 8
Daniel Montalvo Strikes Back -- Scientology Hit with Stunning Child-Labor Lawsuits
When Scientologists Attack -- The Marty Rathbun Intimidation
A Scientologist Excommunicated -- The Michael Fairman SP Declaration
The Richard Leiby Operation -- Investigating a reporter's divorce to shut him up

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/scientology_chr.php
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »

Scientology's Anti-Commie, Space Opera Beginnings, and Other Nuggets From New Academic Book

There's a new academic treatise on Scientology coming out this September, and it's a very welcome addition to the literature surrounding L. Ron Hubbard's odd organization.

Hugh B. Urban, Ohio State University religious studies professor, has given us, in his Princeton University Press tome, a history that does its best to keep above the fray between claims and counterclaims about Scientology, and for the most part, he succeeds.

But along the way, if Urban is somewhat charitable to Hubbard at times, The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion also holds very little back about the controversies that Scientology has found itself in, and that are largely of its own making.

For this longtime Scientology watcher, much of the material in the book was familiar, but Urban's book is valuable for how well he organizes a massive amount of information in a well-paced, enjoyable read, and in only 216 pages.

Throughout that journey, what Urban does better than most is continually put Scientology's bumpy beginnings and notorious scandals in a larger context of American history and the development of American culture and ideas about religion.

From the start, for example, Urban skillfully portrays L. Ron Hubbard and his early ideas about a "science of the mind" as utterly and completely a product of his time. Describing Hubbard as a "bricoleur" -- someone who cobbles together whatever ideas are within his grasp into a kind of pastiche -- Urban shows that the pulp science fiction writer was a man of the moment, debuting his Dianetics in 1950, right when a postwar America was hungry for new ideas and new religions.

As Hubbard then develops his "science" into a religion in fits and starts over the next two decades, and plunges it into paranoid secrecy and top-down control, Urban shows how much that was also a product of its time, with Hubbard and Scientology developing against a paranoid Cold War that gripped the American mind.

Repeatedly, Urban gives Hubbard and Scientology credit for reflecting what was going on in society as a whole, and there is no shortage of the church's point of view about its various controversies. But for the most part, those controversies are delivered in healthy portions. We get at least something -- including copious original quotations -- about many familiar Scientology waterloos:

This is page one of three..

The rest can be found here...

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/scientologys_an.php
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:18 PM »

'Inside Scientology' Promises a Lot, And Delivers: David Miscavige Has Much to Worry About

Page 1

Next month, Janet Reitman's book Inside Scientology will hit bookshelves, and the world of Scientology-watching, and for Scientology itself, will never be the same.

Subtitled The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion, Reitman's book delivers all it promises, and it promises a lot.

"It has been my goal to write the first objective modern history of the Church of Scientology," Reitman proclaims in her introduction. "It is the goal of Inside Scientology to translate [L. Ron Hubbard's arcane] language and separate myth from fact."

That's a big project. And by the end of its 369 pages, you should be convinced that Reitman has not only made good on her goals, but has put together the most masterfully written, narratively rewarding, and thorough yarn about L. Ron Hubbard, David Miscavige, and Scientology and its strange past, present, and possible future.

JanetReitman.jpg
Janet Reitman
​Having said that, this longtime Scientology-watcher must admit to some early misgivings with Ms. Reitman's hefty book. Just a few pages after promising to deliver so much, on page 3 of the advance copy Reitman got the year of L. Ron Hubbard's death wrong. (I was promised a final copy of the book, and chances are this error will be fixed.) And in the ensuing pages of Hubbard's early history, there were several glaring omissions that had me worried about her approach. How, I wondered, do you mention Hubbard's college career without pointing out that the self-proclaimed "nuclear physicist" had failed the only class in nuclear physics that he attempted? How also do you spend several pages recounting the infamous occult collaboration between Hubbard and Cal Tech rocket scientist Jack Parsons and leave out the best part, their kinky attempt to create a "moonchild?"

Gradually, however, it became clear that what Reitman had chosen to put in her book was building to the best overall narrative about Hubbard and his creation since such early pioneers as Russell Miller (Barefaced Messiah) and, in particular, Jon Atack's masterful account of the church's early years, A Piece of Blue Sky. Both books, especially Atack's, are not easy to find. Reitman's will be in bookstores all over the country.

That should present a serious problem for Scientology's current dictator, David Miscavige. He does not come off well in this book at all.

If Hubbard's final years turned him into a pathetic, secretive, paranoid germophobe who resembled an end-stage Howard Hughes, the science fiction writer was at least worldly enough to know how to bend his own rules rather than alienate loyal followers. Miscavige, on the other hand, comes off as a case of arrested development who is so dictatorial and unwavering, he's scared off legions of followers in what Reitman calls a "mass exodus."

Along the way, Reitman revisits many of the familiar milestones of Scientology's history, but has done such a good job with original research and interviewing eyewitnesses from every era of the organization's development that she can weave a page-turning narrative no matter how arcane the material.

Using the personal stories of recent defectors such as Jeff Hawkins, Marc Headley and his wife Claire -- all familiar to Voice readers -- and many others, older periods of the church's evolution are made new and exciting. Hawkins, for example. provides the personal touch that helps explain how Hubbard moved the central hub of his creation from a large manor in England to a ship that plied the Mediterranean and the Caribbean, and finally ended up taking over a town in Florida.

For me, the book really kicked into high gear with Reitman's thorough and gripping tale about how David Miscavige emerged as a gung-ho young member of the Sea Org and then engineered his way to the highest levels of the church, ultimately toppling Pat Broeker as Hubbard's assumed successor after Hubbard's death in 1986. I've never seen this history told so well and with such authority.

Equally brilliant, Reitman chooses to tell the next phase of Scientology's history through the eyes of Lisa McPherson.

Page 2 and 3 available here...

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/inside_scientol_1.php
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: