Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IRELAND  (Read 7200 times)
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« on: January 24, 2010, 06:15:26 AM »

Scientology chiefs make €270,000 from Irish wing

By LAURA NOONAN

Saturday November 14 2009

THE Irish wing of the controversial Church of Scientology is making annual profits of over €270,000 but its director last night insisted all the money was going to pay off the company's "substantial debts".

A favourite with celebrities such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta, the local Scientology spin-off has been the subject of numerous protests at its Middle Abbey Street base in Dublin, with a Fine Gael TD branding the movement a "crackpot cult".

New financial filings show the Irish branch's income was €484,000 over the 12 months up to April 2008, despite having less than 400 members in Ireland at the time. Their contributions yielded profits of €271,804 for the year.

Counselling

"The money would come from selling scriptures, running courses, spiritual counselling and donations," Gerard Ryan, director of the Irish organisation, said last night.

"I'm forever saying to those who criticise us, look at the accounts and you can see any money we make we spend.

"The profit for 2008 was set against the company's substantial debts."

The new filings show the Irish Scientologists had debts of over €1m before the 2008 financial year. The shortfall was funded by "loans from members of the Church of Scientology worldwide", the accounts added.

The Irish Scientologists have previously spoken about opening offices outside of Dublin and Mr Ryan said that was "certainly" still the plan.

"I'd expect to have another office open next year," he added. The church had about 400 members in 2008. Mr Ryan said that number has since grown to "more than 500".

Scientology Ireland has 13 "employees" who were paid over €57,000 between them. "A lot of those would be part-time and we have a lot of volunteers," said Mr Ryan.

- LAURA NOONAN

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/scientology-chiefs-make-8364270000-from-irish-wing-1943489.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

Dublin Offlines conference & European MegaRaid, June 30th-July 1st 2012

Guests from across the US, Canada, UK, France and Germany have confirmed their attendance at the Anonymous European Megaraid, Dublin, Ireland.

Come join them on June 30th-July 1st 2012.

Ex-members of the cult of Scientology are speaking out against its fraud and abuse at a Dublin conference on the Saturday. Press will be invited. No other location in Europe can offer anything close to this, and it will be fucking historic.

WhyWeProtest: https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/101389/

Divided by Zero: http://www.divided-by-zero.com/showthread.php?579

Some of the special guests at the conference will include (in order of appearance in this video):

David Love (ex-Narconon staff)
Roger Gonnet (ex-Class IV Org executive director)
Tory Christman (ex-Sea Org)
Samantha Domingo (ex-Sea Org)
Professor Gabriella Coleman (Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy at McGill University)
Dr Martin Poulter (Doctor of Philosophy, University of Bristol)
Gabrielle Wynne (ex-mission staff)
John Duignan (author of "The Complex", ex-Sea Org)
Pete Griffiths (ex-mission executive director)
John McGhee (ex-Scientologist public)
Anne Robinson (disconnected sister of Tony Phelan)

Conference on Saturday at the Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square West, Dublin 1.

Then a raid at the Scientology mission, 64 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1 on Sunday.

Further opportunities to enturbulate and party hard will be announced later as more planning comes together.

Be there.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?27265-Conference-in-Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nek0xzYbchs#!
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »

Scientology founder’s great grandson rails at cult

By Evelyn Ring

Saturday, June 30, 2012

The great grandson of the founder of the Church of Scientology will urge Irish people to steer well clear of the controversial religious movement at a conference in Dublin today.

Jamie DeWolfe, an American poet, has stood up against the controversial religion that his great-grandfather, L Ron Hubbard, founded.

His grandfather Ronald DeWolfe helped build Hubbard’s scientology empire in the 1950s but later denounced the founder as a fraud.

The conference has been organised by former scientologist Pete Griffith who believes there are about 50 members of the church in Ireland, not 500 as claimed by the organisation.

The church, internationally, has two high profile members — Hollywood actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta — who believe scientology is life-affirming, empowering and the secret of their success.

However, Mr Griffith believes the two actors are victims just like all the other members of the church.

There will be 16 speakers at the conference, which is being held in the Teacher’s Club in Parnell Square and 12 are ex-members of the Church of Scientology.

Also addressing the conference are academics and family members who have been affected by the church.

Mr Griffith, an active scientologist for seven years, persuaded people to join the church when he worked at its Cumbria mission in Britain: "I hope they have come to the conclusion it is a cult and have left because I feel guilty about convincing them to join."

The Church of Scientology is based in Abbey Street, Dublin, and Mr Griffith has staged protests outside the building.

Mr Griffith said the conference was to convince people that scientology was a con. "What they promise you, they don’t deliver on."

He said the conference was also for current members of the church. "Everyone who is out still has a lot of sympathy for those still inside. We want to wake them up by just giving the facts and telling the truth."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfsnsncwauql/rss2/
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »

The conference.

Photos, videos, commentary.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?27591-Dublin-Conference-interview-with-Sharone-and-Axiom142-%29
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »

They wanted me to tell them lurid details of my sex life -- then they told me to talk to an ashtray

They believe mothers should be silent when they give birth, and they purify themselves by sitting in a sauna for a month. The most advanced followers of Ireland's Church of Scientology think that human problems are caused by an intergalactic overlord called Xenu.

Scientology scriptures say he sent evil creatures down to earth by crashing them into volcanoes.

The fallout from the break-up of the marriage of the cult's most high-profile member Tom Cruise to Katie Holmes has continued to focus unwelcome attention on the church this week.

There was more speculation that one of the reasons for the split was his wife's wish to protect her child Suri from the cult.

The divorce could not have come at a worse time for the Dublin mission, which has suffered heavy financial losses and years of bad publicity. Latest accounts seen by the Irish Independent show a deficit of €687,000.

While its leaders remained steadfastly silent this week -- refusing to answer questions on the doorstep of the mission in Middle Abbey St -- ex-members are increasingly vocal.

Dubliner John McGhee spent three years in the Irish church before the psychological and financial pressures became too much.

He started off with a stress test where he was hooked up to one of the cult's favourite tools -- the Electropsychometer.

On the E-meter, members are interrogated while they are attached to electrodes. A needle supposedly moves at times of high emotion.

He also took the personality test where potential recruits are asked 200 questions including: "Do you browse through railway timetables, directories or dictionaries just for pleasure?''

"At first they love bomb you to get you to stay,'' says John. "They are saccharine sweet.''

The first courses are cheap at around €25 , but costs mount dramatically -- and can reach over €30,000 per course.

"They were desperate to get money off me,'' says John. "At one stage they actually picked me up from work and drove me to the bank to pick up money.''

John paid €1,600 to do a "purification rundown''.

At mission headquarters he sat in a sauna for 30 days sweating. Every day he also had to run to the Point Depot (a mile away) and back, and take high doses of vitamins. This procedure is supposed to boost intelligence.

John spent hours undergoing auditing, where members follow commands that lead them into a sort of hypnotic trance.

"They asked me the same question again and again -- like 'what did you do to your mother?' They'll continue with the question until there is a sign of stress. I said I stole money out of her purse and they dwelt on that.

"They have an obsession with sex and wanted to know every explicit detail of an encounter with a girlfriend."

On one course John was asked to talk to an ashtray.

On another occasion he and a "twin'' member had to walk from one end of a room to another for hours on end, and touch the wall each time.

"My partner in the activity seemed to suffer some kind of mental breakdown, and he needed help. They told him he would have to pay €5,000 for 'repair auditting'."

It was at this stage that John became disillusioned with the church and began to distance himself in 2009.

Tom Cruise's prominence in the cult is regarded in the church as a double-edged sword.

It has given Scientology a touch of glamour, but it has also highlighted some of its loopier teachings.

In 2004 Cruise declared in a notorious video that in a traffic accident a Scientologist was the "only one that can really help."

The cult's belief that mothers should stay quiet during birth also causes controversy. On the church's website an Irish member, Zabrina Collins, tells how she had a silent birth when her daughter Navarra arrived nine years ago. Members believe words spoken during birth have a harmful effect later in life.

Like many others, teenage student Gabrielle Wynne had her interest in Scientology piqued by stars such as Cruise and John Travolta.

"They aroused my curiosity,'' said the young ex-member from Whitehall.

Gabrielle originally approached the cult when she was doing a project on world religions for a Post-Leaving Cert course.

"I interviewed a member and he made it seem spiritually cool.''

Soon afterwards, the 19-year-old did a personality test and within a short time she had joined the staff.

"When they are doing the tests they find something that you are not happy with -- like a relationship -- and they concentrate on that.''

Gabrielle helped to sell books and courses, but she says she became alienated when the church tried to get her to distance herself from her mother, who was critical of the cult. Any critic is labelled a "suppressive person''.

"They wanted me to disconnect completely, which would have meant leaving home.

They also wanted me to get out a loan of €3,000 for a course, and I decided I'd had enough.''

Another ex-member said the cult's heyday was in 1980s and 1990s. He said the Irish mission now has no more than 20 active members.

Ever since Scientology's founder L Ron Hubbard first opened a Dublin office in 1956 it has had to face criticisms from breakaway members.

Bernie Green, an early follower of Hubbard, revealed how the visionary drained the Irish operation of money when he lived here for a short time.

According to Green's account in New York magazine, Hubbard spent a fortune on cigarettes, camera equipment and renting a plush house overlooking Dublin Bay .

"He bled us white, and left me holding the bag,'' said Green.

Hubbard is reputed to have declared that the best way of making money was to start a new religion.

But ex-members complain that a vast bulk of the money goes to the top in Britain and America, and there is certainly little sign that the Irish church is prospering.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/they-wanted-me-to-tell-them-lurid-details-of-my-sex-life-then-they-told-me-to-talk-to-an-ashtray-3174876.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »

Scientology Critics in Ireland Exposing Crimes and Abuses

Ex-Scientologist Pete Griffiths talked to me today from Dublin, Ireland, about his experience in the cult and his determination to keep fighting.

Pete stated: “Quite simply really, I will not be giving up….there’s no amount of money would I accept to give up and walk away. No, I want to see the job done; I want to see it done in my lifetime; I want to see injustices righted, abuses stopped, fraud corrected - - I just want to see the right thing done.”

Griffiths was instrumental in organizing an international conference in Dublin the end of June 2012, with Scientology critics attending from several countries. The second day of the event was more like a party and dance, with protesters lining the street in front of the tiny Scientology Mission.

The well-organized event included a press package that attracted the attention of Europe news media.

Dublin Offlines Press Pack: http://tinyurl.com/ac4g2rx
Published on Mar 16, 2013 - March 16, 2013 - A candid talk with ex-Scientologist Pete Griffiths today in Ireland and some film footage of the 2012 Conference and Scientology protest in Dublin.
Ireland Exposing Scientology Crimes and Abuses

Pete Griffiths has been active for several years now as an outspoken Scientology critic and just completed a global survey on the declining activity of what he and many others call a dangerous and abusive cult.

When I asked Pete about his time as a member of Scientology and if he suffered from trauma and nightmares, his reply was: “Oh’ David, David, to this day I have nightmares." We talked about how many people who “get out” have these traumatic dreams and how tragic it is to see and hear about young Scientology children suffering from years of abuse - - many separated from their parents in the Sea ORG.

In Ireland and other countries around the globe, new Scientology Ideal ORG buildings sit near empty; only staff is seen lingering about. However, the leader, David Miscavige vows to keep building and opening more of the same.

Scientology continues to inflate statistics with a 2007 a Church claim they had 3.5 million members in the United States, but a 2001 survey conducted by the City University of New York found only 55,000 people in the United States who claimed to be Scientologists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Today, Scientology membership is estimated between 25-50 thousand and only 25,000 in the United States - - a bleak decline since 2007.

David Edgar Love

http://www.examiner.com/article/scientology-critics-ireland-exposing-crimes-and-abuses
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:59 AM »

Controversial Scientology leader hails Irish branch in New Year's message to followers

David Miscavige, in an address to the faithful, praised the work carried out in the cult's Irish mission

VIDEO

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/controversial-scientology-leader-hails-irish-3020623
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:20:55 AM »

Scientology New Year International Celebration – Dublin Mentioned

Posted on January 14, 2014

...Did you know that, according to Mr. Miscavige, the Scientology Mission of Dublin “accomplished an 85% drop in drug related crime“? No? Well neither, it seems, has anyone else...

http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/scientology-new-year-international-celebration-dublin-mentioned/

Scientology leader praises Irish followers

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/scientology-leader-praises-irish-followers-29919818.html

Irish radio station ‘amazed’ at inclusion in international Scientology video

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/irish-radio-station-amazed-bogus-inclusion-scientology-video-112635622.html#c1TCMJ3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:27:09 AM by Ididntcomeback » Logged
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »

Church of Scientology admits part of Irish video was 'reenactment'

Wednesday 15 January

...An Irish representative of the Church of Scientology has admitted that parts of a video about the religion here was a reenactment.

It comes after local Irish radio station Ocean FM was specifically mentioned and featured in the video.

In a statement yesterday, the station said the studio pictured "is not that of Ocean FM, and the 'presenter' conducting the interview is not known to anyone at Ocean".

The leader of the Church of Scientology had singled out Ireland and Dublin for high praise.

David Miscavige was addressing his followers at a New Year's event, when he went into great detail about the Irish capital, and its Scientology offices.

Mr. Miscavige claims that, thanks to the efforts of followers, literature of the Church is now in the hands of 3% of Dublin citizens....

http://www.newstalk.ie/Church-of-Scientology-admits-part-of-Irish-video-was-reenactment
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »

Scientology under fire for drug crime claim

THE Church of Scientology has been criticised after a propaganda video suggested it helped reduce Irish drug crime by 85pc.

Several businesses in Dublin have also hit out at the church for filming their premises as part of a video shown at a New Year's Eve celebration in Clearwater, Florida.

The video, which is a presentation by Scientology leader David Miscavige, claims to show the work done by the controversial group around the world and includes a special feature on its efforts in Ireland.

It refers to Ireland as a country of "enduring beauty and beautiful sadness" but one that has "not been immune to decaying values of the 21st Century".

The group, whose most famous member is Tom Cruise, has premises on Abbey Street in Dublin's city centre where it has been 'testing' the public and also holding life-improvement classes.

In the video, the group says it has distributed more than 110,000 information booklets in various businesses around Dublin and elsewhere in Ireland and that this has resulted in an 85pc drop in drug-related crime.

Latest figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) show a decline in drug crime -- about 7pc in the past 12 months -- but nothing like the 85pc drop claimed in the video.

Among the businesses mentioned is a well-known and reputable pub in Temple Bar.

Last night a spokesman for the pub said he had "no knowledge" of the group distributing information from the bar.

A popular hair studio said it allowed Scientologists to film on its premises on the promise that the company's name would not be included and that the video would not appear online.

FAKED

The video also portrays interviews done by the group on BBC Radio Foyle in the north and Ocean FM in the north-west as well as pieces in a number of regional newspapers.

Both radio stations said the interviews had been faked.

"The BBC is an independent, impartial organisation. Any misuse of its brand is considered a serious matter and will be investigated," a spokesperson for BBC Radio Foyle said.

Niall Delaney from Ocean FM described the interview and the depiction of the station's studio as "bogus".

Despite several attempts to make contact with the group, nobody from the Church of Scientology spoke to the Irish Independent last night.

When taken to task by Ocean FM about the "interview" in the video, Scientologist Zabrina Shortt claimed the group had "re-enacted" an earlier interview with the station.

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scientology-under-fire-for-drug-crime-claim-29921068.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »

City firms hit out at Scientology over video

A number of Dublin businesses have slammed their inclusion in an online video by the scientology network.

The video, which is a presentation by Scientology leader David Miscavige at a New Year's Eve Celebration in Florida, outlines all the work done by the controversial group round the world and includes a special feature on their efforts in Ireland.

It refers to Ireland as a country of "enduring beauty and beautiful sadness" but one that has "not been immune to decaying values of the 21st century".

Among the business mentioned is a well-known and reputable pub in Temple Bar. Last night a spokesperson for the pub said he had "no knowledge" of the group distributing information from the bar.

The group has premises on Abbey Street in Dublin's city centre where the group have been "testing" the public and also holding life improvement classes.

hnews@herald.ie

http://www.herald.ie/news/city-firms-hit-out-at-scientology-over-video-29922905.html

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/01/ocean-fm-investigates-scientology-video/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:34:09 AM by Ididntcomeback » Logged
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »

Scientology’s Dublin mission video claims slammed by the Irish (VIDEO)

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Scientologys-Dublin-mission-video-claims-slammed-by-the-Irish-VIDEO.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »

Inside the bizarre world of Scientology

Our reporter ventures into the Irish 'mission' to see behind the headlines

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inside-the-bizarre-world-of-scientology-29929339.html
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »

BBC to probe as Radio Foyle features in Scientology video

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local-news/bbc-to-probe-as-radio-foyle-features-in-scientology-video-1-5819807
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »

Execution Order against Church of Scientology Dublin Mission for just under €12,000

Execution Order against Church of Scientology Dublin Mission Ltd (CSDM) for just under €12,000.

Mike Rinder: Ireland — Miscavige’s Lies Just Won’t Go Away
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/ireland/

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?35462-Execution-Order-against-Church-of-Scientology-Dublin-Mission-for-just-under-%8012-000
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: