Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Writing two articles on Anon & Scientology.  (Read 1267 times)
experiencesarah
Regulars

« on: April 06, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

Well, one down, one to go.

I figured I'd explain my intentions a little and why I'll be lurking here for a bit, etc.

I'm 2nd year Bach of Communications @ AUT. I am doing a News Journalism paper, and one of my assignments was to write a short news article.

I have a friend who is involved in this, and have come across it a couple times in my travels over the internet, and noticed there was little to no coverage on it in NZ mainstream media, so figured hell, it's a good topic.

So I wrote my mostly crappy News Journalism article and handed it in all hunky dory, and will attach here so you can all read it. Though, bear in mind it's not going to be read by anyone but the marker and my tutorial teacher, and it had a tiny wordcount.

Anyway, about the second article. I write for the AUT magazine, Debate (I share a pop culture column, it's hilariously bad)
I decided I wanted to expand further into a feature length article for the Mag. The editor is cool and basically is letting me run with it. It'll be about 1000 words, explaining the background of the dispute and the respective parties involved etc etc.
I'm going to try my hardest to be correct and not piss anyone off, but I'm new to this and I can't make any promises.
I'm going to try and get it in for publishing early May

So if you guys have anything you feel it would be important for me to say, or anything you think would make for important research, then just lay it on me.
I promise to respect the anonymity of the group, too.
Will Smith

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »

Hi Sarah, thanks for thinking of us  :D

So if you guys have anything you feel it would be important for me to say

Well... firstly, we are not against anyone's right to religion. We are against the illegal and immoral acts of the church. We are not an organisation, we have no leadership. More like a group of individuals moving in the same direction.

I'm in anonymous because I want people to be able to look at both sides of the COS and make their own minds. Not just Scientology propaganda. I stay in anonymous because scientology wants to take away my right to free speech.

meh.. anyway...

have a look at these articles...
http://citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=15543
http://radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2008/03/scientology_anonymous_protests_tom_cruise_01.php
anonyrat

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:48:27 AM »

Hey sarah, good article :) I wish more journalists would give us good coverage like that.

You made the best of your word limit there I think, and got in some basic history of CoS vs the internet. Minor correction, I think there were 4 police cars not 3 at the Auckland protest.

Things I'd like you to cover in the big article, if you want:

*Talk to some NZ ex-scientologists about their experiences and why they're participating in Anonymous. There's several around here and on Enturbulation, and some of them will talk to the media on condition of anonymity.

*See if you can get an interview with Mike Ferriss, the current secretary of CoS in NZ. Get his side of the story; I'd be interested to hear what he has to say. You might have to push him to make sure he answers your questions. Critic did an interview with him in 2002; it's here on Ent: http://forums.enturbulation.org/7-general-discussion/critic-interviews-mike-ferris-7691/

Mikey reads these boards but he's too shy to post as of yet. *waves to Mikey!*

*Some important (I feel) things that are happening in NZ are the launch of our petition to the Charities Commission asking them to look into CoS and their many many front groups, as well of course our protest next Saturday focusing on CoS's policy of Disconnection.

*An interesting line of research for you might be to look into their front groups, in particular Narconon, which is their drug rehab 'program'. It's based on dangerous quackery using saunas and large amounts of vitamins, including niacin which can damage your liver. Narconon has been used by the Ngati Arohanui Trust in the past; they may still be using it, we don't know. There's a new rehab place being built in Wanganui that is planning to use it; the neighbours are NOT happy.

*Are you covering the Auckland protest on Sat? I hear there will be cake...

*If your article goes out in early May, can you please mention the next global protest is scheduled for the 10th of May?

Come hang with us on irc some time!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: