Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A history of violence  (Read 5339 times)
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« on: March 26, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »

This CNN series needs its own thread.

Next week we begin a four-part investigation into allegations made by a number of former high ranking members of the Church of Scientology. The allegations are about physical abuse they say took place within the Sea Organization, the international management branch of the church.

These former members, many of whom dedicated their lives to Scientology, allege that the leader of the church, David Miscavige, has used physical violence against a number of Sea Organization members. The church adamantly denies these allegations, and back up their denials with numerous affidavits and testimonials defending Mr. Miscavige and attacking those who are speaking out.

Interestingly, the church spokesman, Tommy Davis, admits there was a history of violence in the Sea Organization, but the people he blames for it are those who are making the allegations against David Miscavige. He says they were demoted by Mr. Miscavige, and are bitter and disgruntled. Some of those making the allegations admit they did engage in violent acts, but say it was at the urging of Mr. Miscavige.

There is no real proof offered by either side, but viewers can make their own assessment. We have spent several months working on this series, and believe it is a fair look at the allegations and the counter claims made by the church.

I have already received a number of emails from church members complaining about the series, and accusing me of attacking the church, its beliefs, its membership, and its activities.

Given that the emails are all very similar in content, I assume this is some sort of organized email campaign. None of those writing the emails have seen the series, but I appreciate hearing from all concerned viewers, and I certainly understand any church member, of any religion, being concerned about the portrayal of their beliefs.

For the record, I just want to point out that this series is not about the beliefs or activities of the Church of Scientology. It is not about the religion or the vast majority of Scientologists. This series simply has to do with what some former high ranking church officials say went on within the upper management of the church, and what happened to them when they left the church.

Anderson Cooper |
AC360° Anchor

10 Comments...  see them here...

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/25/scientology-a-history-of-violence/comment-page-1/#comment-1027582
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

Scientology
Jason Beghe Tells Me to Shut the Hell Up About Anderson Cooper's Scientology Special
By Tony Ortega, Friday, Mar. 26 2010 @ 3:17PM
Comments (5)
Categories: Featured

RathbunBeghe.jpg
Beghe, right, and Marty Rathbun, a man who should figure prominently in Cooper's special.
​Just had a great conversation with Jason Beghe, the actor who famously defected from Scientology two years ago.

He understands the point I made yesterday -- that it irks me when Anderson Cooper announces that he's holding one hand behind his back as he goes into a boxing match with Scientology. Cooper said that while his special series looks at allegations of violence by Scientology's supreme leader, David Miscavige, he wouldn't be looking at the beliefs of Scientologists themselves.

I called that a big, fat mistake, and in the comments to the post, I added that it would be like doing a story revealing that John Gotti beat up his lieutenants, without mentioning that they were part of something called a mafia that extorted people.

Well, Beghe admitted that I had a point, but he also told me to shut the hell up.

Any story on a mainstream outlet like CNN which brings light to the nefarious nature of Scientology is a good thing, he says.

"It's like the health care bill. It doesn't really go far enough, but at least it's something. And it's important to get it out there."

Beghe went on to say that he's surprised the show is appearing at all. "I thought the thing was dead," he says. "It was ready a year ago, and had been held up all that time by attorneys on both sides."

Well, it's good to hear CNN's legal team finally grew a pair.

OK, Jason, we'll just shut up now and watch next week's special series, which begins airing on Monday.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2010/03/jason_beghe_tel.php
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

CNN delving into ex-Scientologists' claims of abuse

The Church of Scientology is again coming under scrutiny --- this time in a week-long series by Anderson Cooper at 10 p.m. on CNN.

Cooper notes that former members, many of whom dedicated their lives to Scientology, allege that the leader of the church, David Miscavige, has used physical violence against a number of Sea Organization members.

The church's world headquarters are located in a gated compound in San Jacinto, where frequent protests have been held. Known as the "Gold Base," it is home to Golden Era Productions, which produces late night infomercials and other promotional materials.

Under increasing attack, the church has been accused by ex-members of torture, violation of labor laws and other mistreatment, both at the Riverside County facility and at its "Flag Land Base," the administration headquarters in Clearwater, Florida.

Francois Choquette of Lake Elsinore, an outspoken opponent of the church, is suing the organization, saying he was beaten by a security guard while protesting outside the compound. Choquette says the church has been instrumental in the passage of a Riverside County ordinance, barring picketing less than 300 feet from a residence, and it is pressing for the closure of Gilman Springs Road, which runs through the Scientologist's property.

Choquette is a member of the protest group, Anonymous. He is also a member of Inland Empire Atheist and Agnostics in Riverside.

The CNN series will look at lawsuits filed by two former members of the church's elite corps known as Sea Org, alleging that workers are forced to work 100-hour weeks for pennies and threatened with manual labor if they cause trouble.

The church says the 5,000 members of the Sea Organization in Clearwater, FL, are religious devotees who are exempt from wage requirements and overtime. According to its Web site, "Sea Org is a religious order for the Scientology religion and is composed of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world—individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion." Members sign a contract committing themselves to the order for a billion years.

Spokespersons for the Church have adamantly denied any allegations of abuse or other mistreatment. Cooper says they have backed up their denials with numerous affidavits and testimonials defending Miscavige and attacking those who are speaking out.

Cooper's series will air at 10 p.m., starting tomorrow.

Accusations against the church have been the subject of a three-part special report by the St. Petersburg Times, and an article in the Inland Empire weekly.

http://www.examiner.com/x-28950-Riverside-Atheism-Examiner~y2010m3d28-CNN-delving-into-claims-of-abuse-by-exScientologists
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »

Scientology's 'slave labor' scandal

Some 5,000 members of a Scientology chapter work long hours for scant pay at a church compound. Devoted worshippers or slave laborers?
posted on March 29, 2010, at 3:38 PM
Scientology 'e-meters'

A new lawsuit claims that "e-meters" — devices which Scientologists claim reveal a person's mental state — are made by slave labor.

Best Opinion:  Gawker, Village Voice, Get Religion

The Church of Scientology has been accused of locking up workers in a Californian "slave labor" camp. The 5,000 members of the church's Sea Organization live communally, vow to forego having children and sign a billion-year loyal pledge. But a new lawsuit from two former "Sea Org" members claims they were treated like prisoners, held against their will and forced to work 100 hours a week compiling Scientology literature for almost no pay. The church says that the Sea Org followers are members of a religious order, like monks, and thus exempt from wage and overtime laws. Is Scientology running an illegal sweatshop outside Los Angeles?

All this evidence points to the truth: Well, now we know where "all those crappy pamphlets and all that L. Ron Hubbard literature" comes from, says Ravi Somaiya in Gawker. Predictably, Scientology's leadership was "outraged and denied the allegations vehemently," but this lawsuit isn't the first to suggest this kind of abuse. When "so many 'liars' come out of Scientology saying very similar bad stuff about the 'church,'" why should we believe what they say?
"More on Scientology's brutal sweatshops"

Volunteers aren't slaves: "When you sign up as a Sea Org member, you're signing up as a member of a religious order," says Scientology spokeswoman Jessica Feshbach, quoted in the AP, so you basically know what you're getting into. "You're a volunteer. You sign a contract that says, 'I'm not going to be paid minimum wage and I know that.'" Those who say they were treated badly are "liars looking for money."
"Ex-Scientology lawsuits reveal elite Sea Org group"

Slave labor, but paid for by U.S. taxes: We now know that Sea Org members "work for almost no pay and are generally treated like animals," says Tony Ortega in The Village Voice. But at least they signed up for it. Scientologists have "manipulated" the government into allowing them to operate as a tax-exempt religion. Why does no-one seem to care that U.S. taxpayers are "subsidizing their mafia scheme" too?
"Anderson Cooper plans latest misguided slam on Scientology"

http://theweek.com/article/index/201332/Scientologys_slave_labor_scandal
rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »

CNN/AC360 March 29-April 1 - Scientology: A History of Violence

http://www.youtube.com/user/mackiesyotub#p/u

part d - http://www.youtube.com/user/mackiesyotub#p/u/0/DJN7eptXjY4
part c - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkvgArrqqw
part b - http://www.youtube.com/user/mackiesyotub#p/u/2/eF5qFWOE6XQ
and first
part a - http://www.youtube.com/user/mackiesyotub#p/u/3/x3t86Y3zdwA

start at the bottom and work up if that's what turn you on!

enjoy - this is only the first program

I guess " mackiesyotub" will will get them all posted for us - a big thank you to him/her

regards
Martin

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:43:56 AM by rockyslammer, Reason: same » Logged
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »

Anderson Cooper on Scientology: a history of violence

DAY ONE,,, 00:06:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xMYKjKhNtg
rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »

I watched part 2 today - it's on at 3pm on CNN international - I watch it on Sky.

Anderson Cooper's program cuts around a lot from this to that topic but at every opportunity he puts the plugs in for the scio violence.  Then you get the segment on scio and DM.

Cooper is giving a very balanced view but it is obvious what he personally thinks!!

CNN has a status of about the BBC and is shown internationally.  Cooper is a respected journalist.  So all in all a very positive (for us) program.

So far not the hardest hitting show I've seen but very influential.

regards
Martin
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »

10 minutes 11 seconds.
Scientology a history of violence.

Just look around on youtube for the other parts.

Happy Easter OSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJn-93bgNs

Here is another link to the cnn show on scio.
I don`t even know what part it is...
Just throwing them out for all to see.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/2...y-of-violence/

http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/watch/2273/CNN-News.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:54:42 PM by Ididntcomeback » Logged
rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »

OK I think I see what is happening here!!

Anderson Cooper is hitting on David Miscavidge - I mean really hitting on him.  DM is mentioned by name a thousand times a day on CNN in ads and on the many airing of 360.

He is being accused of hitting cofs members and creating an atmosphere of violence.

Now why would CNN do that so vehemently one asks!!??

Anyone remember Time Magazine being sued?  DM laughed because even though the cofs lost Time spent millions defending the suit.

If DM sues CNN he would have to appear in court under oath.  So no suit - either that or Miscavidge gets to testify under oath.  Ouch - that's gotta hurt slappy.

Methinks a lot of thought has gone into the week long chain of programs.  Very clever.

Oh by the way the 4th program was very similar to the first three and I guess so will the next.  Miscavidge is going to be a household name at this rate.  Anyone seen him lately?  Will he be appearing with Cruise in public anymore?

No - our little Davey is hiding like the coward he is.  Coward hit when they know they won't be hit back, just a common or garden bully.

Payback.

Just my thoughts
regards
Martin
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »

Me thinks your thinking is spot on Rocky.

My computer has been playing up, (possibly an engram)
so I`ve still only seen the first cnn show.

I`ve heard people commenting that it doesn`t
go far enough. There is plenty more Scientology
dirty laundry to air.

I say groovy. Plenty left for the other networks
to bring out.  Soon Miscavige will be a jail house name.

Hey Rocky,  could we even have imagined this a few short years ago ?
Scio used to frighten off everyone looking at it with a critical eye.
Now there is a deluge of newspapers ,radio shows, TV shows,
News items etc. exposing the lies.

Watching this cult disintegrate is the best show in town.
But again.... How will it actually end ?

It`s like a cliff hanger.

Will Miscavige make a run for it ?
Will there be another Waco at Gold base.
Will Doris finally get her oats ?  (John Lennon throw away line .)

ididntcomeback

rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »

I believe 360 has been deliberately geared and channelled to and about David Miscavidge.  Nothing else has been touched apart from who has been violent to who.

One side says DM the other side says the apostates.

Throughout it all DM has been named a thousand time and accused.  Time and time again he has been invited onto the program to answer.  Time and time again he has refused and sent others in to defend him.

It has been made to look really bad for DM.  CNN is getting its revenge on one person - DM.

He can't risk suing them because he would have to perjure himself in court.  Besides once he is in court personally he would be unravelled like a ball of wool.  He is also wriggling really hard to not appear in front of Graham Berry in court.

Wriggle, squirm, baby squirm!

It's take 20 years for the circle to turn on him and I'm glad I'm still here to see it.

I only hope we can find out where he has buried the money!

regards
Martin
rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »

going viral

http://www.colbertnation.com/home

1st April show - near the beginning and throughout!!  Called "Elephant Graveyard"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:55:58 PM by rockyslammer » Logged
rockyslammer
Editors

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »

Well I watched the last prog yesterday.  I managed to see all 5.

The series as I said before wasn't hard hitting at scientology generally but was mostly aimed at the little dictator.  Very clever series with a accomplished presenter.

I hear DM doesn't like to hear his name in print or on air.  Well this series must have made him go ballistic.  Now he has become personally the butt of jokes (see Colbert).

There will be many places he won't dare to show his face again.  Probably never in public with the Cruiser again.

What Anderson Cooper has pointed at DM a thousand times will have done DM's head in I'm sure.

Wonderful stuff  for what it was intended to be and do.  Will Miscavidge go finally and completely insane?  Well he was before I know but I mean in the completely ga ga sense?

You had a good run for 20 odd years slappy - now would be a good time to retire and resign.  Believe me it will only get worse.  Time to disappear off the radar.

regards
Martin
Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »

Like I`ve said before.
This is going to be extremely interesting.

To watch a guy who was on course to rule the world
face the reality that the world has unanimously said "NO !"

I don`t think people will ever realize how close we all came to
being plunged into another Dark age, that could have lasted for centuries.

Miscavige`s physical violence occurred in his mind before
it manifested.
Just a small window to peak through.
Not a happy place to live.

Ididntcomeback
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53:19 PM »

Mike Rinder to give first interview to BBC!

Anderson Cooper just verified on his TV show a few minutes ago that the reason that Mike Rinder refused to come onto his show is because he had already had promised his first interview to the BBC.

It sounds like after his BBC interview that he may come back and do a show on Anderson Cooper 360.

Anyways, this should be huge, and I hope Rinder continues to do media interviews.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=17268
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: